This is a seasonal, non-exempt, hourly paid position, with an optimal start date in April 2018. This position is based in Stockbridge, MA.
A quintessential country estate of the gilded age, Naumkeag recently went through a series of renovations to restore the gardens, which were designed and maintained by Fletcher Steele and property owner, Mabel Choate. Recently, to complement the restored Afternoon Garden, Tree Peony Terrace, Rose Garden, Evergreen Garden, and Chinese Garden, the Horticulturist has re-created a cut-flower garden which excels in its beauty and adds greatly to the estate’s color throughout the growing seasons. In addition, we have a new greenhouse and hoop house.
The Horticultural Steward is responsible for supporting the Horticulturist through excellent management of the commercial and greenhouse aspects of the cut flower garden. Responsibilities also include other assistance to the Horticulturist throughout the property. This is a seasonal position running from approximately April through October. Days and hours are somewhat flexible, but will include 1 or 2 weekend days and the occasional evening.
• Assist the Horticulturist in the planning, planting, maintenance, and harvesting of Naumkeag’s cut flower operation
• Assist the Horticulturist in administrative duties such as invoice tracking, inventory management, supply chain management and record keeping.
• Assists with horticultural tasks including greenhouse control maintenance, fertilization, weeding, dead-heading, irrigation, and related upkeep
• Works innovatively and collaboratively to enhance the revenue-generating value of the cut flower garden through best horticultural practices and reaching out to external organizations, individuals, and businesses
• Electronically tracks planting, pest/disease mitigation, bloom times, and horticulture-related operational details.
• Assists with volunteer work days and/or helps oversee outside contractors
• Engages enthusiastically with and provides assistance to garden visitors
• Weekend work required, as well as the occasional evening
• Other garden-related duties as assigned by the Horticulturist
• Work both independently and as part of a team.
• Assist with projects on other Trustees properties as required.
The Horticulture Assistant position is open to individuals with a passion for horticulture. One to three years of experience in horticulture or a related field is desired. In addition, candidates should satisfy these criteria:
• Expert-level understanding of Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook
• Familiarity with the identification and care of popular herbaceous flower crops
• Familiarity with general landscape maintenance practices, including the use of applicable hand tools and small power equipment
• Familiarity with greenhouse controls and management a plus
• Positive attitude and ability to interact graciously with garden visitors and provide relevant horticultural information and assistance
• Strong work ethic & desire to learn
• Willingness to work both independently/unsupervised and cooperatively
• Ability to handle the physical demands of the job and lift heavy objects up to 50 lbs.
• Willingness to work outside in a New England landscape in a variety of weather conditions
• Able to work weekends and some evenings
• A valid driver’s license, as well as a satisfactory driving record as outlined in The Trustees’ driving policy.
• A satisfactory criminal background check (CORI).
• Pesticide license encouraged
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org if interested
The Trustees offers competitive compensation and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
No phone calls please.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.